PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150 checkist
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2014, 20:12
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
OP Dom, What year 150 would you like the checklist for? I have most of the Cessna flight manuals, and perhaps I could help you get what you need.

Choosing to use a checklist is not wrong, choosing not to use one might not be wrong either, but you're taking responsibility for your actions, or lack thereof. I did my CPL flight test on the C 150 I had owned for 25 years, a few years back. I'd never really used a checklist, but the instructor reminded me that I'd better use one for the flight test. As I had 2700 hours in that plane, and fly it most days, I struggled to see the need for a checklist, other than that was the operational requirement for that flight. So I copied the APPROVED one from the flight manual - it is the ONLY legal one a pilot could use for that aircraft.

Sometimes I'll fly three or four rather different types in a day - then I'll use checklists on the unfamiliar ones. I one day flew My C 150 to work, then a Caravan, then a DA-42, then a Tiger Moth. The Moth did not seem to have a checklist with it, so I preplanned my own.

In my opinion, if you choose to use the Flight Manual checklist, that is your privilege, and responsible. It must not be a replacement for good airmanship, or familiarity with the aircraft. Other pilots should respect that. If you choose to read from a multi page novel to get a 150 up and back, and use it as the instructions as to how to operate the plane, I'm uneasy with that - your good training should already be telling you how to fly the plane, and what good airmanship is.

Look at the items on a C 150 checklist - what, if omitted, would enable you to get airborne, and be less safe up there? There's really not too much you can miss in such a simple plane. But once you have retractable gear, fuel pumps, cowl flaps, auto feather, and varied operations, a checklist gets to be a good idea. A pilot who tells me they can safely fly anything without reference to the aircraft checklist worries me.....