PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 17th Aug 2014, 15:08
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go back to what I wrote before which is that there are many pilots flying commercially with medical conditions.
Flying is one of the few professions where a strict medical is required and at any time a pilot can be told that his career/livelihood is over.
hence it is right and proper to try and accommodate these people where it is deemed that it is safe to do so.
With 2 crew its not such a bad situation as with a single pilot and many fly with conditions where they are using drugs or combination of drugs for various conditions.
Yes there are lessons to be learnt from this incident which is unlikely to happen again and may require a special briefing and clarification of roles in the event of such an occurrence and maybe being more aware a possible go around should this happen again.
As for saying the pilot is not fit to fly? total rubbish and a dangerous route to take regarding where such discrimination could lead to other pilots who do not quite hit the Mark in other medical areas