PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150 checkist
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2014, 14:05
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest to the OP that he find a minimal checklist (maybe from the POH), carry a written version, but do himself a favour and commit it to memory. It'll serve you well over many years of flying. Not to say you'll use the same checklist for every aircraft but the C150 checklist my instructor had me learn at the end of lesson 1 is still the basis of my checks 30 years later.

Also, although you're talking PPL, nothing shows a more professional approach when doing a check ride etc than having your checks under control. And that means not fumbling around with written checklists in the circuit, when your eyes should be outside. There are times when you're required to refer to written lists in more advanced flying, but the essential C150/172/etc checks are easily committed to memory.

The list BPF gave is pretty good, although there's quite a meal made of run up and pre- takeoff. I consolidate these into something like:

Hatches and harnesses - secure
Trim - set for take-off
Instruments - L to R and set (suction gauge on L is first port of call)
Mags - 1700, L, R, both (check rpm drop, and equality of drop on L, R)
Carb heat - check working, set cold, good engine idle
Flaps and controls - full free, correct sense
Radios, transponder - as needed
Brakes off
All clear

Obviously some important regional quirks. In many parts of Australia you don't want to be taxying or doing run-ups on dusty strips with the carb heat selected. But, equally, I can imagine that you need to be vigilant about carb ice in Canada or the UK. My only other suggestion is that the pre-start checks should always begin with "acceptable position". You'd be amazed at the number of people who apparently think it's OK to sandblast other aircraft, or blast dirt into open hangars.

Most of all, enjoy the flying