PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK DEFO A380 requirements
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2014, 12:33
aa73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta disagree with you Junior Man. Many US folks currently doing their time in the sand box would be very glad to be in your position as a legacy major airline captain at home in the US. Let's face it, you could have bypassed upgrade and sat in the right seat as a relatively senior NB/WB F/O pulling down close to what you're making now as a jr CA while preserving good QOL. The point I'm making is you have many options as a US major airline pilot while still having a much better QOL than what I'm hearing from my buds at EK.

Case in point, I am a 15 year AA F/O still at least 3-5 years from junior CA upgrade at other bases, probably 5-8 years away from CA upgrade here at home (DC.) However I am based at home driving 20-40mins to work, flying NB domestic 737 routes with a decent QOL. 16 days off, no red-eyes, no International BS, no jet lag, nothing. Just the easy Miami and Dallas out and backs, or west coast 3 day trips. Now, I could go and upgrade at first available opportunity and subject myself to the crappiest red eye trips on reserve, but why?? Sure id love to upgrade to CA soon but I'm not gonna go bid Miami or NY First available captain opportunity and miss out on my kids growing up: I'll do that when it gets to me here at home. No rush. Money and Captain glory isn't everything. Just giving you some perspective and reiterating the point that many folks in the Mideast would be glad to trade places with ya.
Regards,