PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2014, 09:13
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I worked for Autair 1966-71. I can remember many times when the airfield was absolutely stuffed with diversions usually in the evenings from Heathrow. Lutair/Autair Traffic Department were very keen to encourage this aspect of the business. The main apron would rapidly fill up so that aeroplanes would have to be parked adjacent to staff cars between the Autair and Britannia hangars and along the edge of the taxiway leading to the runway. These were last resorts and ATC would then refuse any further diversions.

I remember one summer evening arriving for night shift to find about six BCAL or was it it BUA BAC 1-11s sitting on the ramp having diverted from Gatwick. The weather was clearing at Gatwick and the crews wanted to get away but were somewhat irked by the shortage of Pushback Tugs and tow bars. Company frequency was very busy for about an hour with whingeing pilots.

The airport was very busy when The World Cup was held in the UK. I may be wrong but I think this was the first occasion when a DC8-63 came to Luton.

Of the many aeroplanes I saw during my time there the most unusual was probably the Reid and Sigrist R.S. 4 Desford, which parked outside our hangar - "Now what on earth is that ?" said Pete Dibley, Autair's Chief Pilot, who was clearly fascinated by it.

There were other strange aeroplanes sitting outside Macalpine's hangar,
Riley Doves, A Mustang that belonged to Keegan, I think it had a turbo engine and then the strange looking Piaggio P.166. which Macalpines used for air taxi work. I remember this creature squatting rather than sitting outside our office on the ramp on numerous occasions - Britannia used to deadhead their crews on it. It was an absolute sod to start and I used to think to myself "You won't catch me flying on that aeroplane!"

Happy and in retrospect, fascinating days.

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 17th Aug 2014 at 10:58.