PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 17th Aug 2014, 08:01
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the report, what actually happened was his prosthetic limb became detached from the yoke clamp.

This event highlights many good things about aviation. Firstly, it demonstrates an understanding attitude towards disability. Secondly, we can see we have professionals working within it. This guy dobbed himself in, and that demonstrates a professional attitude towards safety. Thirdly, that the incident was not swept under the carpet. Lastly, that the AAIB investigated this incident and came up with a reasonable conclusion.

What is disappointing is many people's attitude to this event based on what appears to prejudice. I thought we had moved on, but obviously not.

Now I'll defer to the experts. The CAA's medics, the AAIB nor FlyBe's training department consider that this guy is fit to fly public transport aircraft. Therefore, I'm happy to share the sky him, have him fly me and have him fly over my house.

PM