PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2014, 06:42
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beat me to it 600ft-lb I find this piece most interesting
‘They have more or less cut to the bone already’

An analyst said he struggled to comprehend how Qantas could cut $1 billion from its international division without further route withdrawals and job cuts, even though the airline has so far played down the prospect of more wholesale network changes.

“They will probably announce they will cut another 2000 or 3000 [jobs] on top of the 5000 already announced,” the analyst said.
Another analyst said he was not factoring in all of Qantas’s planned cost savings in his figures – and neither was the market – because “we just don’t have the clarity to break it down”.
Qantas’s current plan is to cut its fleet of fuel-guzzling 747s to nine over the next 18 months, but further acceleration of retirements cannot be ruled out.

However, the airline’s fleet of A330s does not have the range to replace 747s on long routes like Sydney-Los Angeles-New York and Sydney-Johannesburg and Qantas does not have enough A380s available to fill the gap.

Former Qantas chief economist Tony Webber said: “I think they have more or less cut [routes] to the bone already. The problem is actually not in costs at the moment, it is revenue.”
my bold
Qantas plan sparks cuts concerns
I also find interesting what Jamie Freed says in the video towards the end..

"even after the EK alliance it has gotten worse"
Now a mainstream view, another "fail" to be added to above fail list posts..about 30 sec in the video below...

It feels like he just made it up! No doubt now the management's flawed strategy has damaged the LH business, the board has failed spectacularly in my view. I think LC will be under huge pressure come AGM time.. finally the media may have woken up... well, we will see about that over the coming weeks..

A very sad situation.. but this story is essentially a rehash of what Gareth said the other week, a good effort in trying to unravel his confusing accounting speak.

Last edited by TIMA9X; 17th Aug 2014 at 07:51.