PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 years of flying but still no joy for my stomach
Old 13th May 2003, 04:20
MikeEcho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 3 years of flying but still no joy for my stomach

Folks,

here's the story. I started out flying about 3 years ago. I'm now approaching about 150 hours inc around 100 P1 (pure solo) time.

This may sound rediculous for someone of my experience, but I suffer from motion sickness in light planes all the time and in a way which has long depressed me. This affects the sort of trips I plan, i.e no more than 1hr:30 in the air at a time. I get the constant "You're a pilot who gets sick!" nonsense from friends and relatives.

The simple fact is I can't get into a light plane without swallowing at least half a motion sickness tab. Cessna's are a definite no no for me. Warriors make for a smoother ride and Arrows are even better than Warriors but I can't go on this way. Don't get me wrong, I am often commended on my flying ability and awareness and am even sometimes told I concentrate too hard but the motion sickness tablets do have after effects which I can't live with anymore, e.g. dry mouth, drowsiness. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not reckless at all. I am fully in control of the situation and am both wise and alert enough to know when I should stop flying. Luckily for me these after-effects set in about 4 hours after consuming the tablets but it takes a day to get over each tablet.

I know a lot of you will say the motion sickness tab thing is just wrong and that I should try other things like ginger, mints, ginger-beer but believe me I have tried each and every one and have to learn the hard way that none of the above work!

However, recently I have purchased a device called ReliefBand which is worn a bit like a watch and when turned on stimulates the median nerve preventing motion sickness. This does it's job to an extent (it keeps my next batch of sick bags clean) but I still feel like **** when flying, with the feeling that anytime now I'm gonna have to let it out.

This is a heck of a situation, and the day I am no longer required to fly light singles or twins (but rather A320's - weh hey!) could not come any sooner. I'm looking for advice. What can I do to help me become void of this condition? If you have suffered from something like this in the past, or know someone who has I would love to hear your stories.

Many thanks.