PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 16th Aug 2014, 20:36
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes A330AV8R they do. And if your handle implies you fly commercially then I am astounded that you do not know this.

I refer you back to post 4 of this thread, where the poster kindly gave us all the link to the CAA web site that explains the legislation.

Far smarter medical and engineering minds than seem to appear on this thread have assessed that certain kinds of disability in civil aviation need to be addressed and solved in various ways.The legislation and the CAA medical staff are way more capable than the journalists of the popular press and the frippery of this thread to ensure that the safety of disabled pilots does not compromise any aspect of both civil and private aviation. These legislators continue to provide the levels of safety that is expected under the EASA.

And toaddy, the whole point of the provision for one upper limb amputees to not require their prosthetic to be certified to flight control standards is an attempt to allow the legislator to get out of your hair and allow a medical examiner and the professional pilot to make their assessments. For example, in a failure of a limb case, it is perfectly possible to fly a modern fixed wing two crew operation with three hands.

As a personal note, I have been taught by two single upper arm amputees, and one single leg lower leg amputee in my life, and they were all totally capable of any operation that the aircraft could throw at them.

If they were not, they would not have been able to renew their medical licence.