PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Airlines Joining
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2014, 13:44
FLY BY WIRE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mr Good Cat for your advice. I must admit Schnowser had me going for a second because from outside, all you hear about is Emirates vast order requirements so naturally you think that they might want experienced captains at some point.
I'm really trying to get an insight into Emirates because on the face of it they look to be an extremely modern and growing airline in a growth sector of the World, with good backing and future opportunities. Something it seems is sadly lacking at my Airline looking forward.
I'm a UK wide-body Airbus captain with over 12,000 hours, so although I'm not unhappy where I am, things are changing here (not in a good way) and it might be time for something new. (Even a move to the RHS if it was with a good company, and wasn't for too long).

Emirates also appeals because it's not hugely far from home than say a Far Eastern carrier, and seems (from what I can gather) to have an extremely multicultural workforce and a company ethos that being largely Expat, is supportive of a wide variety of expat pilots, rather than a cultural 'them vs us' that I understand, can be the case in a Far Eastern culture for the Westerner.

People generally are more motivated to post when they don't like something, so the large amount of negative posts and the odd blog I suspect don't tell the whole story. I'm also aware that there are a number of US and Oz pilots at Emirates and given the differences in culture and the distance that they are from home, I can see where the frustrations might lie. But they also may have a point!
Some of this may sound naive to someone already working in The Middle East, but it's not easy to see the wood for the trees sometimes.
So any constructive advice and information for a fellow aviator contemplating his future, would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
FBW

Last edited by FLY BY WIRE; 16th Aug 2014 at 14:01.