PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you get started?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2014, 11:12
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went the self improver route in times before "approved courses" were introduced as a replacement for hands on "experience." Once you have a CPL/IR under your belt you need to cold call or network, and preferably both.

Visit the places where biz jets hang out, find out who operates what and write and get to meet the crews. It isn't something that takes 5 mins to achieve, but if you want it hard enough you will keep going until an opportunity comes along.....then it's simply a case of grabbing it with both hands.

As for buying a type rating this a tricky question. If you are thinking of buying one in the "hope" of getting a job, I would think again. Years ago the C550 was the mainstay of charter operators and it was quite likely that a rating would potentially get you sat in the right seat for quite a few operators. Nowadays of course the regs have changed significantly, you need to tick a thousand boxes to get into anything on an AOC, and there is a wider selection of aircraft types being operated, so which type do you choose; CJ, Phenom, C550 etc etc? Choosing the right type rating to pay for is therefore much more hit and miss. Added to that is the ridiculous EASA requirement for the six landings you will need to fund in the airplane before you can even act as a crew-member.

Paying for a rating if a job is offered is quite a different matter though. Some diehards will tell you to avoid this as well, but the market is changing, margins are being squeezed and some operators do now expect this. This is your decision entirely and obviously it will be one that you make after looking at the employer, the contract and the costs involved. If the cost of the rating is taken directly from your future salary rather than you having to pay it all upfront, I'm sure even the diehards would not object to funding of this nature.

Most have us have been where you are now. Don't wish for time to speed up, just put more effort into the time you have available. Good luck.