PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF WSOp (AIRCREW) jumps course?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2014, 09:20
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
I was under the impression that the PJI's who wear the two winged badge on the right arm do so because they have passed the relevant physical test ie either P Coy, Pre-Para or All Arms Commando.

This should also apply for the TCW / TSW / MAOTs. No physical course pass should mean the light bulb. Of course the majority haven't passed it and walt around pretending to be an airborne warrior....
Attendance of a 'pre-para course' has no impact on the type of parachute qualification badge worn.

A 'winged parachute' is worn by PJIs because they qualify as parachute trained in order to fill a parachute-trained role. This also applies to TCW/TSW/MAOT personnel, who will be put onto the parachute course in order to fill established posts within their various units.

If someone manages to get onto a parachute course who doesn't require the qualification to fulfil a post on their unit then they're awarded the 'lightbull'.

In short,

- Wings - Qualified in order to fill an established parachute post within their unit.
- Lightbulb - Qualified without an established parachute role.

On moving from an established parachute post personnel retain their wings.

Why do I know about all this? Well once upon a time I was dicked to attended Brize for the meat bomb course because,

- Some fool in the Army decided they wanted a CLA-trained stacker to be able to jump out of aircraft (even though the then in use CLA kit was packed full of items that would be unlikely to withstand an airdrop).
- The previous para-trained CLA was posted to a blue suit role.
- I was the youngest, fittest (?) CLA and, seemingly important, the shortest in post and therefore most easily dicked.

I passed the course but can't say I ever enjoyed getting off before reaching the terminal, it was a means to an end, no more. What I did find interesting though was the difference between the mentality of 'airborne' folks and commando trained (who I've also worked alongside with the CLR) to 'outsiders'. Airborne types seem to view attached personnel with suspicion and derision wheras commando-trained seem to recognise that you must there for a reason (having a skill they don't have) or else wouldn't be there, and as such treat attached personnel in a much more professional manner.