PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Airlines Low Cost Airline in the USA
Old 13th May 2003, 01:54
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Branson the Man

Woodman

You are correct, Branson was involved with the initial set up of Jet Blue but those ownership laws got in the way & of course, David Neeleman, finally got it off the ground. JB is one of only two US carriers that have weathered all the economic & other woes in this industry the past two to three years. Must be doing something right!

It would be really great if Sir Richard could swing it this time. We need something different here in the US & Branson could be the one to do it.

Paxman

You too, are correct.
I highly recommend thhe autobiography "Losing My Virginity". Branson has not always had it easy & in the early days of VS, ther were several occasions when the bankers were ready to pull the plug on him financially. Somehow, he always managed to survive. Perhaps because the Virgin empire was so diversified and any expansion was realatively slow in coming. Plus, of course, he surrounded himself with people who had experience not only in the airline business but also the business world. And, Sir Freddie Laker is indeed, his hero. Much of what Branson has done, is trying to do, is modelled after another aviation pioneer.
I guess all we can do is to watch the media & see what happens; after all, Branson is pretty well-known for his PR stunts.
I'll bet that something will come of this by the end of this year.

AH