PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Haul issues
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2003, 01:32
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
As always - differing views!

I try to sleep as little as possible! I enjoy the time that long haul gives me to think and write. My regular long haul is LHR ~ JNB which is about ten and a half hours 'wheels-to-wheels'. These are always overnights so I do usually snooze for an hour ot two. BUT, I always make sure that I see the dawn over Africa at FL360. It is never less than special.

I also have Sony Noise Cancelling headphones and do not travel without them. I use it in the armrest socket for listening to movies or music. That said, VS Upper supply N/C headsets! Mini-disk is good, I agree.

For reading, I usually take a magazine - New Scientist being my favourite. It has a very wide choice of articles of varying length and complexity for whatever mood I am in.

Ear plugs - Yes. Socks? I wear large soft sided boots, these keep me warmer than just socks. I unlace them, so as to allow the foot to expand. Although I only unlace once we are in the first phase of cruise, say 30/40 mins out. I don't want to be making an evac from the cabin onto a runway wearing only airline socks! Equally, once we start the drop, I lace up.

Wot No Engines advice about Econo is priceless! As I normally pay my own tickets, I have a seven hour rule. I am fortunate that I am of average height and build, so I can tolerate seven hours in 'Y'. After that, I am moving forward!

Premium Economy (VS) and World Traveller Plus (BA copy) are both fine. I use FFMs to upgrade with as it is the cheapest way of getting there (or Biz/Upper of course).

When returning from NYC or similar, I try and get the daylight flight. Main carriers have a direct that leaves JFK around 09:00 and gets you in at 20:00 or so. This means an early start but
you can then have a day reading/working. Get home and go to bed. This is best for jet lag, I find.

However, one flight was different ...
I had just finished a contract in HKG in January 1995 and climbed into VS A340 for an expected 14 hours in 'Y'. Client would not pay more and I had no spare cash or FFMs.

I was holding a free upgrade voucher to Premium Economy but the flight was 100% full and it was a space available voucher.

I was very tired and wanted to sleep but could only get an aisle, it was the exit row but the 'C' and nothing to lean on.

In his welcome message, the Capt advised that, due to bad weather we were going to take a more northerly track and this meant that the flying time was going to be .... 15 hours and 15 minutes.

During dinner, I was debating this long flight with the man next to me in the 'B'. He offerred me a sleeping pill as he was taking one. Well, my mummy tought me not to take strange pills from strange men on aircraft!!! He told me that it was a barbiturate. I thought about it for another five seconds and accepted. I chugged it down with a brandy and coke.

After dinner, I settled down and woke up over Denmark with 90 minutes to go!!! So was out for about 12 hours.

It was a very silly thing to do, had we have had an emergency landing, I don't know how responsive I would have been and I don't plan to do it again.

The best way to handle long haul is to get as near the front of the place as you can!