PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headsets
Thread: Headsets
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2003, 00:32
B47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANR Conversion

I've just converted my pair of David Clark H10-13H headsets to ANR. Superb.

The conversion kit is approx £100 per headset from Adams Aviation (manufactured by Headsets Inc, USA) for the DIY package. Adams will do the work for you for £30 per set - well worth it.

So for a £300 headset plus £130 you can have an excellent ANR headset. So, if you have a pair of David Clarks, don't start buy another set. The figures for performance reckon about 85% of the performance of a Bose set. Passive is not noticeably different either.

I take the point about high frequencies, but in my noisy B47, the increase in comfort is dramatic and well worth it. I've heard many warnings about 'don't use ANR or you won't hear the noises you need alerting to' but in my view the discomfort comes from the low frequency rumble whioch ANR removes brilliantly. The higher frequencies still get through and can be heard more cleanly.

As someone who flies an old girl without a governor and needs the noise 'clues' more than most, I think ANR is brilliant.

Also, if you get the chance and it's your aircraft, fit the panel mount power to save on batteries.