PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wakey Wakey manning
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2014, 15:53
gr4techie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Nip
Please read my post. I have nothing against Techies getting paid a good wage. If that meant they got more money because they contributed more than everyone else then fine.
It is also a fact that if wages are better in civi street then a lot of people will leave regardless.

But, in today's environment it has been judged that a percentage of other trades contribute in a valuable way justifying in a higher pay band. If that means they are paid the same as Techies then what is the problem. No Techie has lost money or any conditions they have.

Will techies only feel more valued when they can look down on someone else knowing they earn more?
TG1 don't only get paid more in helicopter maint, many offshore companies are crying out for our TG1 to do ROV operator technician, Instrument Technician and Gas Turbine Technician roles. Etc.

When you say "no techie has lost money or any conditions"... Yes I have! Every year the cost of living goes up more than the RAF salary. Every day that someone stays in the RAF are they potentially losing money when they could be earning more elsewhere today?

I don't look down at anyone, I'm sure I'd struggle to do some other trades, they would use kit that I've no idea how to operate and I reckon even a SAC MT Driver could get paid more as a hazardous chemical HGV driver in civvy street.

The RAF are wondering why so many skilled, qualified and experienced people are leaving. The simple solution is pay. If you paid them a similar amount to the offshore jobs then the mass exodus would stop. It's that simple. Changing the cupboard in the single living accommodation or having one sports day doesn't solve it.