PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wakey Wakey manning
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2014, 13:54
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I've posted on here a fair bit in the past; I'm reasonably senior and reasonably long in the tooth, so I should be tolerant. However, one effect of shrinking manpower in support areas and 'self-service' administration is that I spend increasingly longer times trying to do simple admin. For example I'm posted overseas 6 months ahead of planned date yet trying to get the 'system' to respond to the requirements of the new assignment (sorry, I used the expression 'posting' earlier. Verboten) is practically impossible. There's been some heroic effort by some TG 17 staff but decisions relating to rules on baggage, termination of SSSA, allowances, housing are typically vested with the Casework cell in Glasgow. The turnaround time on what had been in the past a local/station decision runs into months - time I simply do not have if I am to comply with the Assignment Order.

I'm prepared to be flexible (and have been for the better part of 30 years) - have my home-life upheaved again (poor Mrs Crash) - but the 'system' - predicated on the needs of an 18 year old Soldier posted (final warning, Crash. It's assignment) to Germany - is not flexible. I've seen a one-Star recently expected to meet near-unobtainable RTM dates go red with frustration as the various unconnected support wheels fail to mesh. This will definitely be my last move - I love the job, love serving the RAF and HMG, but why - oh why - is it made so hard to go about one's domestic business iso the Mission?

PS this isn't a dig at Adminers; on the contrary, I feel for those remaining having to work in such a Byzantine system.