PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 15th Aug 2014, 11:12
RexBanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But this is the very problem with current policy, not limited to aviation. The reaction to a situation is very often knee jerk with very little consideration of actual risk. Case in point, jumpseat visits being banned after 9/11.

Now I do not remember hearing of Mohammed Atta and his merry band receiving personal invitations to the flightdeck from the captains concerned. They busted their way in. So how is the knee jerk reaction in policy in any way relevant?

To bring it back to the point and to medical cases an acquaintance of mine who was flying the 747 at VS lost his medical after he was diagnosed with a brain tumour. Thankfully he has made a full recovery now but the medical is never coming back. There is literally nothing wrong with him, I've seen his workouts at the gym. Denying this guy a medical is lunacy when there are grossly overweight individuals still allowed to carry on despite holding onto their medical by a thread.

The fact is we don't live in a world of black and white, there are individual cases with their own nuances. Said Flybe captain has repeatedly demonstrated his competence and, as I said earlier, did so again here.