PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 15th Aug 2014, 10:24
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like the reassurance that this is fully inspected and certified to the same standard as any other mechanical part that is fitted to the aircraft.
Do you really think that would make a jot of difference, other than cost and inconvenience?
I have never seen any person in public with a failure of a prosthetic.....over 30yearsago, i knew a guy with a"swinging knee leg As the foot was lifted, the knee unlocked , allowing a"kick" forward to take a stride...upon putting weight on the limb, the knee was supposed to lock. It very occasionally failed to do so, resulting in a tumble. He continued to wear this early prototype and adjusted his stride-length so a failure would just result in a stumble. The only clue you would have, was a slight "creak" as he walked.

When aircraft have zero parts failure, i'll believe in the certification regime. Meanwhile, rest assured that prosthetics are built for day-in, day out, 100% reliability used by unskilled,non-professionals..They don't need full traceability to be fit for purpose........I suggest you study the failure-rate of Permit aircraft components, V- C of A.