PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 15th Aug 2014, 10:17
Three Thousand Rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have flown several hundred hours on light singles and twins, so whilst not a line pilot, I believe that I have enough understanding of the story to post a sensible comment.

My concern is that the AAIB report states 'control was lost.'

An arbitrary and strong statement (although perhaps a verbatim report from the capt.)

Two things trouble me about this.

1 - pretty much every pilot has encountered low level windsheasr where the aircraft was momentarily out of control, but was recovered and a safe landing followed

2 - if 'control was lost', literally, I would expect either a crash or an immediate 'go-round' command, with the capt controlling the yoke and the first officer applying TOGA power. I remember getting a strong gust well past the threshold and I didn't feel in control of the landing, the response to throw it away and seek safety back in the air was automatic and compelling.

The capt in this incident is a far more experienced and probably a better handler of the controls than me and if he felt it was safer to land (which proved to be a good call), it concerns me it was reported as 'control was lost', which gives the press a field day and is not helpful to the airlines - business have been bankrupted by less ('how can we sell earrings for less than a prawn sandwich', for instance.)

The subsequent backlash, driven by public opinion, may see this pilot lose his medical and may erect tougher barriers to other pilots who have disabilities that should not prevent them from following their chosen profession.

I think the phrasing of the opening sentence is, with hindsight, not the smartest thing I've ever read and may be proven to be somewhat of an exaggeration when the full report is issues, by which time the damage will already have been done.