PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2014, 00:17
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

............I'd imagine that a noticeable EICAS warning would be
generated..........
How ? Just a word on a display that one is not looking at at that time ? or maybe a warning light? maybe a horn? whatever, the eyes have to be taken off the job in hand and a computer screen scrutinised, buttons pressed, information read, understood and processed.

Wot's esier than noticing a problem out of the corner of the eye and KNOWING INSTANTLY the problem whilst still controlling the task in hand?

Apologies for reptition, but I've mentioned before that some of the WW II Captains I started flying with had trouble ( some of them ) flying a rudimentary instrument approach, even just a simple NDB approach, but pop out of cloud at minimums, too fast, too high, no flaps etc. and say "The runway's over there, Sir" (never forgetting the Sir ! ) and they would straighten up and fly an immaculate visual approach to a perfect manual touchdown. 40 years later I was teaching co-pilots, brought up on a diet of Space Invaders and Bill Gates' latest toy, who would fly an instrument let-down better that I ever could, or would, but pop out of cloud at minimum, in the slot, configured for landing,stabilised but then couldn't put a real aircraft on to the real Earth without assistance.

Somewhere we've gone wrong in the intervening years.