PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 14th Aug 2014, 22:51
SKS777FLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my post zapped from here yesterday for quoting from, I think the BBC reporting that the incident "Captain was one of FlyBe's most experienced and trusted pilots."

Anyhow when I was flying for American Airlines, a Captain from the flow-thru process of American Eagle to American Airlines began flying First Officer for AA. He was born with a deformation cause by the medication Thalidomide I was told. He had a stubby nub of knarled finger like appendage near one shoulder with no arm. His opposite arm was quite normal from shoulder thru fingers.
He managed somehow to lean/twist his body and operate throttles and control wheel. I only saw him wearing his FO American Airlines uniform walking thru the DFW terminal. Never had any flights with him, nor did I ever hear ANY complaints by fellow pilots who knew him first hand (no pun intended).
Hey folks, this young man jumped thru the same hoops YOU and I did to get into those airliner flight decks, with many checks and balances along the way.