PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 14th Aug 2014, 22:04
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the firm landing matters that much. I can certainly say that I'm no 'Ace' and have done a 2.1g touchdown. At the time, we discussed it and did not consider it a heavy landing so did not file a report. The 'phone call came as a bit of a surprise and left me feeling as if I'd tried to dodge an incident of personal and (one hoped) transient incompetence.
I am indebted to those who posted and then drew our attention to the CAA advice to AMEs with reference to 'bits missing' as I previously referred to those with prosthetics.
I admire the determination and skill of those who operate with such a disadvantage which I do not have - and I still manage to make errors.

Nevertheless, as an ex mil and civil pilot, I was surprised to learn that a Class I would be issued in such circumstances.

Edited to say that my view has not been altered by the debate which, now that the mods have cleared abusive contributions, is well worth reading.
I would not be happy to have my family flown in a civil aircraft in which either pilot's prosthetic hand was clamped to the control column. Sorry, Sir, respect and, in your position, I might accept the exception and continue flying but the reported circumstances make it very clear why, as a passenger, I'd be unhappy.

p.s. Yes, I knew about guys with tin legs and eyes missing etc when I was a wee boy.

Last edited by Basil; 14th Aug 2014 at 22:17.