PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My First Lesson Tomorrow
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2014, 20:50
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of things on this thread alarm this ancient gliding instructor.

CAMERAS AND LEARNING TO FLY DO NOT MIX!!!!! Flying requires your undivided attention. If you must go up to take pictures, take a qualified pilot in the LH seat, you can then devote your attention to being a photographer.
The only decent film I have ever seen taken by amateur pilots is that one of the dog in the back seat experiencing negative gravity.

And of course air to air requires special equipment to get anything decent, as well as two aircraft.

Forget the camera.

Another thing, some people worry about spin training. Not required in PPL these days. It is required in gliding, however. The K13 glider is a more enjoyable place to experience the spin and recovery. I find the student would get maximum benefit from the spin training if he himself put the glider into the spin deliberately; this makes it easier to recognise and to differentiate from the spiral dive. Aerobatic power planes are rather scary and dramatic in the spin; a sadistic instructor at Wycombe Air Centre tried to put me off by spinning on our first lesson in a 152 aerobatic Cessna, and it WOULD have put me off forever if I hadn't had the K13 training first! Took me a few years before I really learned to enjoy it and to teach it.