PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF WSOp (AIRCREW) jumps course?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2014, 15:40
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contentious issue this- don't get confused with the water course. lots of aircrew and non aircrew (including MoD civillians like myself) did a three day course culminating in one drop into Studland or Falmouth using 22ft SSLs. Last course was probably 2003/4 when 22fts became in short supply and had a life of 10 drops into water. AB/SF Pol (Lt Col Parkinson decesed) declared anyone to jump required to pass P company first. I knew of some with TSW and a few Rocks had "entitlement to parachute" Unfortunatly with the shortage of frames, many were unable to meet the currency requirements. I guess many were in it for the additional few quid para pay. The Entilement to Parachute Annex was cut to less than a quater from what it was in 1999.

JATE ran a few trips to Jersey and Gib with the HOEU to have a splash. I belive the rationale in the earlier days was to give prospective Catterpillar club members the opportunity for a bit of training but into water so no broken bones. Safety cover was one boat per jumper in sticks of 6. The RM at Poole provided the support but like all things they were quite stretched. All good fun things come to an end.