PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 14th Aug 2014, 15:02
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been abscent for a week.(Coff signed my leave chit) Interesting to see how things have developed on the thread.

TT is spot on with the 250ft over the lake without a viable reserve.

AA62 - interesting to hear of the Troops following with the TROC and the HSP/MSP explanation- spot on. The HSP rig in the pic was the Diesel version of the CVRT which would have been known as the Scorpion (I think they were built by ALVIS in Coventry (Not too sure of that). Up armour and the heavier engine put them out of MSP scope. The thust was to have a common fuel on the battlefield. (and at sea) - we were playing with Diesel engine RIBs at the same time - Save that for another time.

Good old EDM or Dufelite. When I get my own laptop back from the menders I will upload a pic of the HV stuff we did with 26ft Ringslots onto Everliegh. With the high rate of decent several layers were used giving a high CoG.

The US use pre made up honeycomb in a factory set up to provide work for veterans (Lighthouse) along the lines of Remploy. UK buy it in logs which the AD guys pull and glue top and bottom sheets. Not very consisent and very labour intensive. They asked for some US stuff. It cost more to get it to theatre than the stuff cost to buy. The AD guys were quite resorsfull and "borrowed" stuff from the US team (it was stiffer than ours)

AA62 used the term A22 - that descibed the US 48 x48 container (basically a 1" plywood board and a webbing net). The UK nets are knotless Polyester.

We did have some 70" high ones that apear to be the ones being used on the J for the water supplies in Iraq at the moment. I do wander what chutes they are using. As AA62 previously remarked about clothing being made from the pink and blue 28ft utilities. I think the SC15 stuff may be a bit rough but not as rough as the US Low Cost ones they are using at the moment for almost everything.

Great to see the Js doing a grand job. The RAF appear to get the plaudits but it is joint effort with the Army lads. I recognise some of them in the pics.