PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 14th Aug 2014, 11:20
stiglet

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's not forget here, with all these flipant remarks, that we are talking about an individual who has my sympathy to have been caught up in a publically discussed scenario.

As a pilot however, I am surprised to hear that these days with an artificial limb you can hold a Class 1 medical and operate a commercial passenger carrying airliner. I am not aware of the intricacies of todays artificial limbs (plainly they are not failsafe) and I can well understand that some people feel uncomfortable with the thought that the pilot of their flight might have one; indeed I would too. In challenging weather conditions it can be quite an art to control an aircraft at TO and landing with four fully functioning limbs let alone with one of them being artificial.

If this person is, as Flybe state, 'senior and trusted' would it not be more appropriate to employ them (should they wish), in a training or managerial roll so complying with the law on equal opportunities?