PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transit London/City CTR (again)
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2003, 20:26
Barney_Gumble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drauk,

Very interesting thread. Here is my 2p for what it is worth....

I learned to fly at Redhill and one of the flying schools there used to take their a/c (C172) across the LCY for servicing at Denham (if memory serves). I used to chat up the istructors and ask if I could accompany them on the ferry flight and they agreed.

I flew across the zone quite a few times in this manner with the instructor as PIC. When I finished my PPL training and then started to learn how to fly I reaslised that there was a potential problem as has been discussed.

I looked at my half-mill and quarter-mill and various other sources of information as many as could get my hands on if fact. I then looked at the glide performance of my aircraft in the POH/FM then I went out to Kent a couple of times and PFL'd from 2400ft. After this research I concluded that I would be able to land clear in certain sites from that height BUT no lower.

On the way back from the PPRuNe fly-in in Duxford last month I flew across the LCY again to take another PPL and her husband to see the view. I would do it again, but if I just want to get across without any flightseeing I will go around the Dartford x-ing. If a passenger specifically asked then I will attempt a clearence but will not accept unless it I can fly at 2400ft.

I think your research and the advice of others on the thread who are very qualified in these matters constitutes some "Due Dilligence" on your part insofar as you have made it your business to investigate the issue using all available and validated sources of information. Due Dilligence might help with the ANO but not with the law of gravity though

I would fly across the LCY again, keeping as far East as I am allowed but would not make a habit of it. In fact as I climb out of Biggin I always have plan B Dartford x-ing on my kneeboard just in case for any reason I feel as PIC that I cannot keep within the terms of Rule 5.

Somewhere in the thread above SVFR was mentioned but I think this is not such a good strategy, My concern is not so much prosecution under the ANO as not being able to make a landing in an area away from other innocent folk. I choose to fly so if I get killed that's my problem, but those who live in houses below me don't choose for me to fly over them, so I would want to be as sure as I can that I don't land in their loft ......unlike the pilot who was looping the loop over my home town at <2400ft yesterday

Also one last point is that I am a low-hours PPL so I try to take that into consideration when deciding my options. Rustle mentioned loosing 100ft after the engine quits as a realistic time to get gliding....well at the start of my trials over Kent it was more than

Andy

Edited 'cos Barney doesn't remember the Rules of the Air .....the cad should be grounded I say

Last edited by Barney_Gumble; 13th May 2003 at 03:31.