PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oversize Expectations for the Airbus A380
Old 13th Aug 2014, 20:56
rgsaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew LHR, DXB, MEL, AKL return in February / March - my first A380 and also first time with Emirates anywhere. Although I fly only a couple of times a year now, having retired, I've flown long-haul on most types from Constellation and Argonaut thru' Comets, 707, almost every 747 variant, and I have to say that the 380 is the best economy "environment" (with Emirates) of any aircraft I've experienced.

Of course, a 747 is fine if you have a whole row of seats to sleep across as often happened in the "old days" but that's unknown these days I think.

Interestingly, a close friend went to Oz (not MEL) last year and the second leg was in a Qantas 380; he advised me against getting in one - his first leg Emirates experience being vastly superior in terms of fit, IFE, food provision etc.

As I shall probably go back to NZ again next spring I reckon I shall go the same way - cheaper than Air NZ via LAX (still yuk two years ago!) and must be a better bet that Cathay or Singapore in 777s. ( I still mourn the cessation of the ANZ LHR, HKG, Akl service) For sure I can bear two 12 hour+ legs each way in the 380 economy and I'm 75 and 6'1"!

If "customers" are disappointed in the 380, for sure it's the airline not the aircraft that's at fault in my book!