PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 13th Aug 2014, 19:33
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh Dear Coff,

I rather suspect you may have to await a reply while ex K Navs change their underwear

My introduction to OP Granby:

On 16 Aug 1990, as we arrived at AKR, en route to UK, with a load recovering kit from a previous deployment in Nairobi, we were stopped, offloaded , reloaded and sent off to I believe Dharhan, where the mightiest airlift I had seen in my life was underway. While we were being offloaded, a Kiwi Albert arrived next to us, and their Captain came over and said hello, with the chuckle inducing question "I don't suppose O'Meagan is your Captain?". On re arriving at AKR my crew was cleared to return to LYN, whilst I was detailed with another GE to "pick up" frames headed into the Gulf, and get off them again at AKR. I spent a month doing that from my records accumulating some serious hammock hours. That was useful as TASF Akrotiri required us to support them when we weren't doing trips East, and we had a deal with the VC10 GEs to give them some help when available. All in all an interesting, if tiring time. Despite the fact that GW1 was the premature end of my career, I can't help but think that for the Herc fleet, many improvements in operating techniques and Nav kit were hastened and proved useful. Certainly, I for one learned the value of team spirit, camaraderie, call it what you will.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 13th Aug 2014 at 19:53.