PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 13th Aug 2014, 12:16
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gents ... More fascinating insights into your Truckie world ... Many thanks

The RAF has a long history of ingenuity and practical application when it comes to problem solving given an operational need or imperative ... but it seems you guys had more than your fair share of operational challenges ... but I guess that comes with the wide variety of tasking undertaken by the Herc fleet.

Anyway ...

Originally Posted by Chickenlover
The bike-pump chaff dispenser was a piece of Wizardry. Bear in mind, it wasn't long before this we were still lobbing chaff out in sick bags at 'Flag'. I jest not. I hope somebody somewhere has the facts accurately recorded, rather than my hazy memories. It will make a ripping yarn.
Now that sounds as if a F/L Heath Robinson had a hand in the design

Hopefully someone will oblige and entertain us all

In the early 80's I had a very brief intro/go (in the Finningley Nav Sim) with the then TANS Platform ... at the time I seem to recall someone saying that it was to be the "standard" Tactical Air Nav System for RAF Helicopters and Transports. I believe it was fitted to the Puma ... but it sounds like it never made it to the Herc ? Presumably Mil spec GPS/more advanced INS overtook TANS ?

Last edited by CoffmanStarter; 13th Aug 2014 at 16:41.