PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2014, 11:21
PerAsperaAdAstra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting stuff, the human factor cockpit ergonomics. Personally (totally a pre computer ager) I like to glance at a dial, needle position, rate of movement tell me all I need to know, the actual numbers are at times not impotrant. Most changed to oil pressure, temp etc I've encontered drew my attention because the needle was sitting in the wrong place. The Bell "Jetdanger" 206-B3 I instruct on has some glass instruments fitted and a digital TIT gauge. However apart from the number, it also has the running segments or bars in a radial around the gauge. After a few starts trying to interpret the numbers, I soon changed to watching the sweep if the segments, like a needle, rate and position tell me what I want to know. However having an exact number to look at in steady operation, is good. The glass MFD AI and HSI with coupled GPS data is good I will admit. It has speed and alt readouts right there on the sides of the displays but my very ingrained habit of scanning the other instruments, ASI, Altimeter etc, is too strong. It feels uncomfortable interpretting that info off the tape displays.

I recall the C5 Galaxy had some of the first tape cockpit displays and there were issues? One being the movement of the tape, is up an increase or decrease? To me with a fixed pointer, an upwards movement should be an increase?

The other point is so much talk of speed related to stalling? In the military when we taught stalling, speed had nothing to do with it, if there was buffet you were stalling, no buffet, no stall. Are we not associating speed with stalling too much? Yes speed is important but to so closely link speed and stalling? Most airliners have an AoA indicator, are the crew taught to use thyis in identifying an approaching stall? Do the MFD's start flashing somthing attention grabbing as crit alpha approaches?