PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF WSOp (AIRCREW) jumps course?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2014, 10:52
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Most useful and (IMHO) relevant para-related training I ever got as a fully paid-up (rotary) member of the TWMR was with the USN.

On a trip to Pensacola, got a couple of trips in their T-6C, sort of a fat Tucano (never was much good at aircraft recce!). It didn't have bang seats, but used static line 'chutes, so it was back to the good old (sic) climb out and dive over the trailing edge.

Closing the general safety brief, the QFI said "Now we'll put you through the Sim!"

So Teeters was led into a hangar with a T-6C fuselage on top of (what seemed) a very high scaffold, with a circus-style safety net (what seemed) a long way below. I was beginning to work out what was going to happen.......

And so it was. Strapped in, then given the word (which wasn't "Jump John Jump!"), unstrapped, climbed out and dived over the trailing edge. Small jerk from the static line, then into the net. Bit like a bungee-jump sans bungee!

But a great confidence builder, and the closest I ever want to get to a caterpillar badge....