PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop career progress
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2014, 09:20
Drohmster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turboprop career progress

On the current job market, it seems that some companies do not accept turboprop pilots for their Non-Type-Rated positions. (e.g TK, EK, etc.). This fact makes me quite curious, what's the reason behind.
Therefore I would like to start an open discussion about the career opportunities of turboprop crews.

What is the advantage to a company, if you have flown for example an old CRJ200 compared to a new a ATR72-600 or a Q400? Is it the fact that those airplanes have condition levers? Or their maximum ceilings? That they have to avoid weather more than jets? Or do the pilots to many landings on their short flights? No autothrottle? Are the turboprop pilots maybe worse than others?

Or am I completely wrong? Are there a lot of companies, which do not distinguish between heavy turboprop hours (CS-25, >27 MTOW) and smaller Jets (ERJ, CRJ, Avro, etc)?

In the past, it used to be a normal pilot career path, moving from a turboprop to a Jet, but nowadays, it seems to me, that either you start as Jet pilot or it's even more difficult to become one. But maybe I’m wrong, maybe there are good opportunities around for turboprop pilots. Let’s start the discussion.

Every opinion is highly appreciated!