PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2014, 06:03
bloom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_"And modern tape readout is far better for such a "glance", comparing modern aircraft speed indicator with a consumer digital watch is a sign of ignorance, only a non-pilot can make such a comparison. The modern tape-based AI gives you a lot more information than just a 'number'. This is another's pilot take on this topic:""

"That's why I don't wear a digital watch. One doesn't have to "read" an analogue watch, or instrument, one just "looks at the picture ""

Ahh, the old analog vs digital (as in numbers, not electronics).

Referencing the above red: That is a sign of pilot ignorance.

They both have their place.

An analog watch quickly shows the "arc". For a 9 0'clock appointment, my digital watch says it's 9:50, and I have to do the math mentally. My analog watch displays an arc that is faster to interpret.

Analog shows a "rate of change" better than a digital display. By the time you read the number, you have already exceeded the limit (Think EGT, Torque, RPM, maybe speed).

Ever notice that your "digital display" ("electronic display", in this case) actually displays an analog gauge?

"Human factors" has , is , and will always be a factor in all the future accidents. The interface between man and machine will always be a problem.