PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2003, 18:13
Frangible

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone further enlighten us on the Interflug A310 incident? I was puzzled as to the relevance of this in the documentary ever since I saw it. Don't think it is correct.

My memory of reading the report on the Interflug at Moscow was that the tower ordered them to go around, and they engaged TOGA mode. The pitch seemed excessive to the pilot, who pushed the column forward thinking this would disengage the automatic mode. He had not been informed or trained that this action could not disengage TOGA mode, and the result was that, he still having elevator authority, he was commanding nose down, while the stab was going nose up as requested by TOGA mode. This caused the first stall and the subsequent roller coaster ride (three further stalls I think) before they got stabilised.

What has this got to do with rudder deflections? The film claimed that rudder deflections set this incident off, but I seriously doubt this, and they certainly had nothing to do with the roller coaster ride.

As for the other incidents to A300-600s or A310s, e.g. Tarom over Orly, and the tragic crashes by China Airlines (at Nagoya in 94 and Taipei (in 98?) these were cases where the pilots thought their actions could cancel the automatic mode (not TOGA mode in every case) when they could not. Rudder was absolutely not involved in those cases.

I have a suspicion that the film was desperately looking for precedents to AA 587 and couldn't find any, and so discovered different types of incidents but also involving Airbuses and hoped no one would notice that rudders weren't involved. But if anyone can show that rudder was involved in these incidents I'm happy to be corrected.