PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 12th Aug 2014, 22:45
chickenlover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smuj and all,
I suspect the whole matter will be confused by memories and perceptions of when the war started etc. I was out there pretty early in 200 on 03rd August and it was not fitted with any kit. Stayed for a while and RTB'd to restock. I'm pretty certain when I went back on Sept 26th in 'Terry" (206) it was fitted with a trimble or some nautical GPS bought with Army petty cash from Shoreham flying club. One of the Navs and one of the Cos went down to buy it, possibly in a helicopter that looked like it was in the AA It was connected to an aerial in the cupola with 3 bent coat hangers. I think thats all we had until December. My logbook shows a SCNS trial in 179 on 28 Nov. The 'big push' in Dec had 4/5 a/c in theatre and I think 2 of them had SCNS fitted. The whole saga was like a continuation of the Op Corporate 'get it done' mentality. The bike-pump chaff dispenser was a piece of Wizardry. Bear in mind, it wasn't long before this we were still lobbing chaff out in sick bags at 'Flag'. I jest not. I hope somebody somewhere has the facts accurately recorded, rather than my hazy memories. It will make a ripping yarn.
To put all this in perspective, I've been lucky enough to recently have a beer/coffee/chat with 4 of the 47 Sqn DFC winners from the recent period. I hope its not 30 years till we hear about them here. To misuse a Crocodile Dundee quote -" now THATS a story..."
Night all