PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 12th Aug 2014, 21:57
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MalDrop,

As one of two GEs deployed throughout December 1990 to "the Gulf" with a 47SF crew, I can assure you that XV205 had the SCINS fit as we deployed. The other GE was an Avionics man by trade and had done a quick course on the kit before deployment, I received an "in theatre" briefing on how to test it and how to fix it from him. This included some input from our Nav, who was a wizzard with the kit. I remember phrases like "ring laser gyro"and "system blending" etc, all too far in the past for my memory to retrieve. In 1991, after GW1 I remember doing a trip on a Deci Schedule with a 30 Squadron crew, using XV205 for some reason. The first half of the trip was spent with the SCINS turned off, but the Nav decided to have a play on the leg north back to Germany. For once, I was found to be of some use as I still had my notes from GW1 and a memory for getting it set up. I doubt it was that useful for a Deci Sched, it was certainly very useful in the desert. I remember rumours about hand held satnavs etc throughout the conflict, but never came across them.

Smudge