PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight training in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2014, 20:52
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that CAPSLOCK.1 makes a distinction that is a very valid one. It's also a point that I don't think I've seen here before and worthy of serious consideration.
Perhaps you should cast your research net into the area of South African Aviation Forum where you might find a website dealing more with general aviation.
Pretoria is a lovely city, home to the Afrikaner. Afrikaans flying instructors can be extremely dedicated but they have their own clique coterie just as does anyone else and you may feel more socially comfortable at a club or school where English is the common tongue. Hard choices with limited information at your disposal. The quality of instruction is important though, whether you wear blue socks and shorts in the cockpit or a full flight suit. This man has a good reputation.

ROB RHODES-HOUGHTON
newrob2
Rob Rhodes-Houghton started flying at Wits Flying Club while he was still a Maths lecturer at Wits University in 1990 and completed his PPL, CPL and instructor’s ratings at Wits with Andre Kluyts and Sias Swart. After 26 years of teaching he went into full-time aviation as Chief Flying Instructor at National Airways Corporation (NAC) at Lanseria, in 1996, obtaining his ATPL (SA) and ATP(US), after which he was employed at Nationwide on BAC1-11s as a First Officer in June 2000 and made Captain and instructor in 2002. He later became a Training Captain on the Boeing 737-200 & 500 at Nationwide after which he joined MANGO as a Boeing 737-800 Captain and also worked for the SACAA as the manager of Testing Standards. Rob is a DFE I(A), radiotelephony examiner, Language Proficiency Rating examiner and has over 10 000 hours total time, with nearly 4, 000 hours instructor time and about 50 aeroplane types on his instructor rating.

The club used to be quite good when it was run through Avex by an SAA pilot who went to Australia. Avex has gone now, used to be at Rand, a flight school where both private and professional pilots were catered but those days of barnstorming fun are, I fear, long past. You could smoke in training aircraft in them days and sometimes the hang overs melted into the morning's stupour from the night before.