PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transit London/City CTR (again)
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2003, 16:13
AlanM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bookworm..

If traffic permits, making the decision as to whether it is safer to take a particular route across the zone, or to take an alternative route, is not your job as a controller -- it cannot be because you do not have the information required to make it. All you can see is the traffic, and your decision to grant or refuse a clearance should be based on the traffic situation, and your workload, nothing else.
Sorry old boy, but with respect I disagree. As I keep saying, transiting WEST of Canary Wharf in a single is in my opinion dangerous. Simple as that. Whether anyone likes it or not I can and will refuse that route. As much as a pilot may bitch and whinge about the unfairness of that you will still not be allowed to do it! Yes, you can redress me and report it to the CAA but I feel fairly confident that SRG would be on my side. WE are not power crazy meglomaniacs - but I would use my authority to refuse it and face the consequences should there be any. I would be arguing for safety and duty of care of persons on the ground, your argument is to save some miles and time.

Yes, it may be less safe to fly towards bad weather to the East or towards a dozen 7000 squawks, but not to such a degree as to risk the lives of those on the ground in a built up area.

Anyway, this is hypothetical as I would offer the Lea Valley if I could anyway!!

You could alway come and visit us to discuss further. Or I could come flying with you and you could convince me otherwise!

drauk

I don't think anyone can give you an answer I am afraid. It really is a judegeent call by the a/c commander based on skill/ability/experience/perofmance etc.