PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 to be a Future Headache
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2014, 10:32
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by haughtney1
I said VERY large aircraft concept i.e. the 380 in its present form.
Considering they have captured something like 90% of that market since it came into service, I think it has done very well. As well, if not better than the 747.

Originally Posted by haughtney1
Given the title of the thread, and the general argument made then its worth making the point that its irrelevant if the airframes are leased or owned, we are talking about value (lessors sell airframes as well). Who else in the present environment is going to take these airframes? particularly when EK have no more use for them, whoever it might be, you can be fairly certain it will be at a heavily reduced rate.
Congratulations you have just won the first prize for being gullible.

The 777X is not replacing the A380 at EK, EK said they have been ordered to replace their 77Ws which start hitting around 15 years in 2020. The 77W is what EK will be dumping with their introduction (and as they only own 4 of these, it will be the lessors trying to place these tired aircraft). Those aircraft will be far behind the economics of the A350, 777X, and the A380.

They are replacing their A380s, with more A380s (ordered 50 more last year at the same time as the 150 777Xs). EK are pushing Airbus very hard for a NEO, and the A380-900.