PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadets over Experience ? please explain
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2014, 09:49
MMurph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer PressTheTit's questions

There may be a trend for airlines now to use cadets, but this is of a temporary nature. All airlines will look for experienced pilots for recruitment at a particular time. I see it as a supply and demand issue. At the moment there is a huge back log of qualified cadets. And within the airlines a huge back log of senior First officers waiting to upgrade to Captain.
There is defineately not an issue of pay expectations.

With regard the standard of a cadet pilot, from an airlines point of view, they will have an affiliation with a particular school and they will appreciate the product they receive. The cadet is a less risk option for completing the Type Qualification in the minimum amount of hours. They know this from the previous cadets. And therefore less money for training.
I personally have flown with both cadets and experienced military pilots.
All of them can perform there duties to a high standard.

Airlines do value experience and yes they can speed up command upgrades this way if there is a need.
I believe there is no issue over an experience pilot complying with SOP's.
I know a lot of pilots in airlines that have spent between 7-10 years in GA before moving on to an airline, and some pilots who are still in GA. Either started their own company or are a career instructor.
Patience at a time like this is essential for someone in your position.