PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intensive PPL with on-site accommodation in nice location?
Old 12th Aug 2014, 03:22
dera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You obviously are living in the 90's with your beer knowledge.
Modern US "craft" beers are very tasty. No-one forces you to drink the lite lagers. Compared to a modern US IPA, UK beer is watery piss.

Scotland is not everyone's "cup of tea". Yes, the scenery is nice, but most towns are, as you would put it, ****e. To me, living in a BnB in Inverness, or somewhere up there, would be torture.
Food in Florida is way better. Another matter of opinion, but I think it's pretty much universally agreed, that UK food is very much an acquired taste most Europeans have yet to acquire. I lived there for a couple of years and still feel sick when thinking about fish and chips, xyz pies and don't even get me started on the delicacies north of the border...

Besides, there's massive political risk at the moment if going to Scotland. You never know how they will vote after they watch too much Braveheart...

If you have a week to travel around, both US and Europe are great for that.

With OP's budget, he can go to Florida, and have enough money left to visit Scotland and fly around a bit.
If he goes to Scotland, he does not have money left to go to the US and fly there.

My XC was to Melbourne, a real airport, with real traffic. Not some run-down grass strip in the middle of nowhere that sees 3 planes a week. Yes, the FL scenery isn't something that will inspire much comments, but the traffic keeps it interesting, and will make you proficient in RT.
Both the US and UK are quite different from rest of Europe when it comes to RT. In the UK you become very proficient with the opening call to a new station. I still think UK ATC's favourite word is "freecall", something that is completely unknown in rest of Europe.
Nothing quite as funny as listening to ATC at LFAT, with the endless stream of G-regs flying in asking for "basic service"...