PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intensive PPL with on-site accommodation in nice location?
Old 11th Aug 2014, 20:12
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a experienced instructor I would say your comments about certain schools communications are correct. Didn't happen were I worked but then again I was flying over 100 hours a month teaching PPL's.

Your comments about the wx are wrong. I much preferred flying in Scotland in the snow than sweating like a pig in Florida.

The quality of training is variable in the US and most require re-educating when they get back. RT, emergencys and navigation were the normal issues.

As an experienced airline Captain the whole visa thing is a complete pain in the bum and not worth the hassel. I have been though it 5 times to get to the work sim.

Cost wise as I indicated earlier there was a major benefit 10 years ago. Now their isn't.

As dera says its your choice OP.

Flat sweaty, very variable training quality different to what your going to be flying in when you get back.

Or go somewhere with something to see out the window, bit of wx so you learn what your actually doing when you inevitably have to deal with post qualification, bit more secure because you can't get thrown out if you have an argument and they cancel your visa to get rid of you.

The other bonus is you don't have to sit on a long haul flight twice sat in cattle class.

If you over run or something comes up while away it cheap and easy to get home and no problem getting back.

Just had a look at the wx I used to fly at, Hurricane Bertha coming through and it was flyable for the last three days and looks good for tomorrow as well.

Over 10k, cloud base BKN045 and 20 knts down the main runway. I would send local students solo in that.

Last edited by mad_jock; 11th Aug 2014 at 20:29.