PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC service on frequency change
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2014, 18:42
fisbangwollop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see the frustration at what some folk see as being dumped by ATC but you must understand each ATC unit is generally only interested in its own piece of airspace. If your lucky and the ATC unit is not too busy they will pass your details on to the next suitable ATC agency.......however what you must understand is that the passing of information does not necessary mean you will automatically be cleared into thei next units airspace as the original poster to this forum found out.
What I would suggest is if you know there is controlled airspace ahead call the controlling authority in good time and always either have a plan B or be prepared to hold prior to receiving a clearance to enter that airspace.
What often will help especially for those units that use EFD ( electronic flight data) would be to file a VFR/IFR flight plan and make sure you address it to the unit who's airspace you wish to cross.......this won't guarantee you a crossing but at least the controller will already gave your basic details on his electronic strip display..........I hope this Helps to understand how the system works.
And remember this VFR or IFR ATC is there to help and not to hinder and as far as I am concerned a wee C152 with low time PPL is as an important customer to my Company as a fully loaded IFR B747.