PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of newbies
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2014, 09:01
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts
I learned nothing of proper engine management, no realistic commercial scenarios (other than "brief me, pretend I'm a passenger"), and I hate to say but the majority of the instructors I encountered wouldn't have cared or being able to teach me that anyway.
Well, there ya go!! Now I do know for sure that the Flying School where I did all of my training, from first trial flight right through to MEIFR rating (and the first four or five renewals) was quite arguably one of the best one in Australia.

I got put through 'the works' to put it bluntly. Engine and systems management had a very high priority; Look after Mr Lycoming/Continental and he'll look after you. Abuse or neglect him and watch the **** out was said more than a few times.

Likewise, Commercial scenarios were simulated many times. I still remember quite clearly my apprehension when being told (not asked) to prepare a flight plan for a charter that one of the Instructors was rostered to do in the Twin, and this was still when I was completing my final PPL Navs.

Both the Instructor and CFI/Owner of the Flying School went over the plan with magnifying glasses and it passed muster!

I bet there's at least a couple of mature heads in the hangar pestering the engineers for advice on running an engine properly,
I was encouraged to do likewise.

Sadly, this School no longer exists. Time hath passed and age wearieth.

BlatantLiar Consider yourself told!