PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intensive PPL with on-site accommodation in nice location?
Old 10th Aug 2014, 22:13
500ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have information about the flying school in Christchurch, New Zealand. I
heard that they provide intensive PPL and IFR training.

Have you considered going to New Zealand?
New Zealand is a great place to fly but it isn’t cheap. In the last few years the exchange rate has strengthened and operating costs for flights schools have been increasing. Prices do differ a little but will probably be the same or a little more than you are paying in the UK. I pay the equivalent of £125 hour to fly an 180hp Cherokee, dual in that aircraft would be £150 (plus about a £12 landing fee). I’d tell you what a medical costs now but you wouldn’t believe me.

If you want a PPL in 3 weeks probably best to go to Spain or Florida.

That said if you are young, you could consider getting a working holiday visa and come for a few months to get your PPL and hang out. Earn enough to live and use your savings for flying.

While I have never flown with these guys, I know the airfield (the club own it) and I believe the prices of pretty competitive. The aero club owns the flight school.
Air Hawke's Bay | Air New Zealand Aviation Institute Flight Training (flight school site)
HB&EC AERO CLUB | Come Fly With Us (aero club site)

In the growing season there is plenty of seasonal work around if you want it. HB Fruit Growers Association

The weather (for NZ) is generally quite good in this part of the country (that’s why they grow the fruit.) Staying connected with the guys on the airfield could give the opportunity to do more interesting flying like beaches and farm strips.