PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2014, 21:47
aguadalte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC - (What's wrong with you, man? You're one of the guys I've learned to respect in this forums...and I don't need to turn down the wick in the co's map display and ask him/her where you are, a double FMGS failure will do the work in the Flight Sim...) I wasn't joking or trying to make fun of the discussion around analog dials vs speed tapes.

I was questioning the fact that, since approach speeds are chosen noawadays by FMGCs (not calculated by the pilots), pilots tend to rely on flight computers. And I was saying that, that particular feature comes with a price: pilots are more and more "disconnected" from basics.

In the past, a flight instructor had a hard work remembering his students, again and again, to "mind their speed"... Today, we see pilots stalling aircraft because they thought the AT was doing their job...

By the way, roulishollandais, my students are doing well thank you, they have never landed on a wrong strip, nor stalled any aircraft. UAS is one of the first things I teach in the Flight Sim, as well as how to use their heads, in order not to get killed.