PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2014, 15:18
Danny42C

Warmtoast,

The plot thickens ! Thanks for the photos, but one small cavil: why not buy half a dozen AT-6s from the US, rather than take on the considerable engineering job of retrofitting a gun into a Harvard, whose (Canadian) designers had never contemplated such a thing ?

(Possible answer: with their deep-rooted anti-colonialism stance, the US would not release them for that purpose).

The 20lb bombs would be no trouble. The 4x11½lb practice bomb rack should take one or two of them with a bit of tinkering. (Was there a multiple 20lb rack on inventory - thinks Hawker Harts, etc, on the old NW Frontier).
I cannot help thinking that such a weapon might be more use against Isis in Irak (if you could base it out there) than (say) a F-18 with one 2000lb.

I'm grateful for the link - but all I could tease out of it was "..... Therefore, only the Harvard’s 20 lb bombs were authorised and its machine gun was not...." 41. So there must have been a machine gun (hand-held Bren or Sten poked out from back seat ?) Is there an Armourer in the house ?

Danny.