PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phantom Friday
Thread: Phantom Friday
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2014, 12:38
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that it is laudable that RAF Coningsby are keeping their Gate Guardian in a good state of repair. I was, however, curious to see XT 891 painted in 41 Squadron colours. Whilst I understand the connection with41 Sqn, the ac never served on the Sqn. Equally, the aircraft is in an Air Defence configuration. 41 Sqn, for it’s short and distinguished lifewith the F4 was a Recce Squadron. To my knowledge, I stand to be corrected, I never saw them fly it that configuration.

I believe that the ac should remain in it’s 228 OCU/64(R) Sqncolours. If it is imperative to keep the 41 Sqn colours, at least make the configuration representative.

The aircraft was delivered in July 1968 to the RAF, she was issued to 228 OCU the next month, but moved on to 54 Squadron when theyre-formed with Phantoms. She then passed back to 228 OCU and served with them until 1984 when her crew ejected from the aircraft when it veered off therunway onto the grass due to a nosewheel steering failure. After repair she was returned to the unit but subsequently suffered a fire. The aircraft wasrepaired once more, suffered another fire and finally returned to active service. On retirement she was earmarked for gate guard duties at Coningsby where she had spent most of her flying career. She was repainted in the old camo colours in 1999.